Girls Active 2015/16 - REGISTER NOW
We are delighted to be relaunching our ‘new look’ Girls Active programme for 2015/16. The programme will run as a pilot for this year with capacity for 4 Secondary Schools to be involved. The expectation is that the 4 schools involved will work with us to help shape and develop the programme for the borough wide launch in 2016/17. Although there are core components that must be met by the schools involved, we appreciate that not all of our schools operate in the same way. In view of this the programme will be flexible so schools may tailor it accordingly.
Our Girls Active programme is based on the principles of student engagement, such as student voice and leadership, alongside innovative approaches to marketing. The programme recognises that girls' needs differ and change as they mature and that girls themselves are uniquely positioned to 'sell' PE and sport to other girls. Therefore, ‘Girls Active’ offers a flexible action-planning framework to help teachers and girls to work together to address their particular issues.
Why get involved?
- Schools will receive £200 towards to the delivery of their Girls Active programme (subject to the submission of a project action plan)
- FREE kit for the identified lead staff member
- FREE kit for the Girls Active Co-ordinators (up to 15)
- FREE enrolment on the accredited Sports Leaders UK Award – Women Get Set, Go! for each of your 15 Girls Active Co-ordinators (worth £15 per pupil)
- FREE resource pack
- Support with additional funding applications
Who should be involved?
Each of the 4 pilot schools will be required to identify 15 KS4 girls to be the face of this programme within their school by becoming the schools ‘Girls Active Co-ordinators’. These individuals will be crucial in ensuring the success of the programme. Which KS4 girls schools target is entirely up to them although individuals chosen should be able to engage well with their peers and be able to communicate effectively.
What are the delivery expectations?
Schools selected for the pilot programme will need to meet the following requirements:
- Attendance at the training day (Feb 2016) by lead teacher along with the 15 identified KS4 girls
- Undertake a girls PE and sport self review pre and post delivery evaluation
- Complete a PE and School Sport action plan
- Implement Girls Active opportunities within your school
- Submit a portfolio of evidence
For additional information relating to the programme including a step-by-step overview, please refer to the programme overview document.
As mentioned previously, due to the fact this programme is running as a pilot this year we have a LIMITED CAPACITY for 4 Secondary Schools to be involved. Therefore if you would like to be involved in this programme, please confirm by return of this email by no later than Friday 18th December 2015. Please note: Should we receive more applications than places available, schools may be asked to submit additional information as to why they are best placed to access this opportunity.
Should you have any questions or queries in relation to any element of the above then please do not hesitate to contact a member of the SSP Team.